When it comes to snoring prevention, there are various anti-snoring devices available in online and medical shops. Compared to surgical methods, the anti-snoring devices are usually affordable and worth the money spent. And if you are planning to buy one, you should be very familiar with the different types of anti-snoring devices. The shops will ask you if you require a TSD, MAD, CPAP, mouthpiece, a mouth guard, or a chin strap, among others.
According to many reviews and articles about these devices, the anti-snoring chin strap is the easiest type of anti-snoring device to be used. The basic structure of a chin strap consists of fabric molded into a cup for the chin, while it is connected to straps to be connected to your head for stronghold. If the chin straps fit your head size perfectly, it is said to be very effective.
But how does it really work? What are the things it can and cannot do for you? Is it even safe for long-term usage? To clear out these chin strap issues, we provide you the answers with the following:
- It keeps your mouth and jaw in the right place. When a person sleeps, the muscles in the throat and mouth will relax. The tongue can also block the throat, thus causing the snoring. With a chin strap, you can keep your jaw right where you want it, and your mouth closed to prevent restriction of blockage.
- The chin strap has another function aside from preventing snores. The chin strap is also known to improve the quality of REM sleep, a stage in sleep regarding the rapid movements of the eyes under closed lids. Based on various researches, improved REM sleep is correlated with good moods after waking up.
- It is only effective for mouth snorers. There are two basic kinds of snorers: a mouth snorer and a nose snorer. The chin strap is effective for a mouth snorer, but it is not recommended for the other type.
- If you are suffering from nasal congestion, it can be dangerous. Nose snoring can be caused by allergies and nasal congestion. In case you a person experiences these and use a chin strap, the person may have a case of lacking oxygen supply. This can be very dangerous for the person’s health, especially if that person is sleeping alone.
- You have to find the perfect fit. Some shop owners think that “one size fits all” applies to the chin straps, but it is not. Avoid chin straps that are too tight because these can cause headaches. Those that are too loose can prove to be ineffective.
- The chin strap can change its position throughout the night. A heavy sleeper may sleep through the chin strap’s shifting, but the light sleeper can get frustrated with it. This could be connected to the case of unfit chin straps, or of the wrong fabric used for the device. It is best to review the device’s specifications before buying it.
If you are sceptical with anti-snoring chin straps, there are still many types of anti-snoring devices out there that you can use. Find what suits your needs, and you’ll never have to think about snoring again.